Today on Channel One News:
- Wildfires in Oklahoma Force 1,000 Residents to Evacuate
- SCOTUS Rules Prayer Allowed at Government Meetings
- Polio Outbreaks Reported in at Least Ten Countries
- Bullied Students 31 Times More Likely to Carry Weapons
- Ten Students Awarded Prudential Spirit of Community Awards
Classroom Discussion Prompts:
- How does a controlled burn differ from a wildfire? What precautions should be put in place to keep controlled burns under control?
- Do you agree with the Supreme Court’s decision on prayer? Why or why not?
- How might the conditions of war and conflict lead to polio outbreaks?
- How big a problem is bullying in your school? What do you think are the best ways to reduce bullying?
- In what ways does volunteering help a community? What does a volunteer gain from volunteering?
- outbreak (noun): a rise in the number of people afflicted with a certain disease that is far greater than what is expected for an area
- Heard on the Air: “At least ten countries in the Middle East, Asia and Africa have reported polio outbreaks.”
- traumatized (adjective): made to suffer from long-lasting shock and emotional problems because of abuse
- Heard on the Air: “This is a group that’s not only traumatized psychologically and they worry for themselves physically, but they also pose a threat to the rest of the student body.”
- fathom (verb): to understand or imagine something
- Heard on the Air: “You will scale to such heights that my generation, we can’t even fathom what you are going to do.”
Happening Now at Channel One News:
- Our EdTech blogger explains how to turn students into makers with the power of 3D printers.
- On Wednesday and Thursday this week, Channel One News will be running a two-part series on competitive young athletes and what supplements might be doing to their health. Turn to ChannelOne.com for more on this story.