The Amazon rainforest is a place unlike any other — and the stats/facts/rumors about what lies within The Amazon are just as unique. This title could read a million crazy awesome facts…but for today I just stuck with five. Let me know if you come across any others!
- Around 80% of the food we eat originally came from the rainforest. Sound crazy? Well check this out — all of these common foods were originally found in the rainforest: coffee, chocolate, rice, tomatoes, potatoes, bananas, black pepper, pineapples and corn
- Step aside drugstores — rainforests like the Amazon really are the “world’s pharmacy.” Even though only about 1% of rainforest plants have been examined for their medicinal properties, over a quarter of the medicines we use today have their origins in the rainforests!
- Scientists predict that 1 out of every 10 species in the world is found in the Amazon. Think about that. Out of all the land and ocean all over the whole world, 10% of all creatures are found in this relatively small area!
- This fact has me buggin’ out — it’s estimated that you can find more species of insects in one (ONE!) tree in The Amazon than in all of The United States!
- Many scientists claim that the canopy of the Amazon is less studied than the ocean floor!