Have a few extra minutes on your hand? Want to show your support for some very deserving people? More than 1 million soldiers are currently serving in the United States Armed Forces. And each day, young men and women leave their family, friends and loved ones risk their lives to protect our country.
What better way to show some love than sending a handwritten note giving thanks for all that they do? Read on for how you can make an impact on the United States Armed Forces:
1. Select your soldier! If you don’t know anyone serving in the Armed Forces, find an organization that sends letters to soldiers abroad. One organization, Operation Gratitude, includes handwritten notes with care packages they send. Another organization, Forgotten Soldiers Outreach, allows you to digitally send letters of support.
2) Supplies! Head to your local craft store and pick up all the essentials: markers, pens and paper – colored, if you’re feeling crafty! Depending on the organization, you can send anything ranging from original artwork to handmade cards.
3) Let creativity take the wheel! Just remember to adhere to your organization’s guidelines. Operation Gratitude, for example, does not (sadly!) allow glitter.
4) Be positive! Your letter should include happy and uplifting messages – the Armed Forces enjoy reading words of encouragement and gratitude. Feel free to share a little about yourself and what you’re doing at school.
5) Spread the word. Grab a friend, family member or your homeroom and get writing. The more letters you create, the more lives you can touch.
Do you know anyone actively serving in the military? Have you ever sent letters to soldiers? We want to hear from you! Share your story in the comment section below – it just might inspire someone else to make an impact.