Director, Digital Operations | Director of Operations, Digital Media
Channel One News
Channel One News is a digital content provider focused on encouraging young people to be informed, digital and curriculum savvy global citizens. Our show is a daily news program with supplementary educational resources, aligned to Common Core State Standards (CCSS), to help students, teachers and parents interpret the news of the day and spark important conversations. The Peabody and Telly award-winning program is broadcast to more than 5 million young people in upper elementary schools, middle schools and high schools across the country.
The Director of Operations, Digital Media manages existing products & services as well as creating and integrating new products and product changes throughout Channel One News’ digital offerings.
We need a hands-on, self guided perfectionist who is detail oriented and fast moving. Candidate must be proficient in project management and workflow yet still able to debug and write code as needed. Ability to manage people and projects with same level of skill.
Successful candidate is responsible for the following technical functions and team:
- Outline and define product roadmap, set priorities, manage timeline and establishment of and continuously management of the right expectations with all relevant stakeholders.
- Product Engineering and Software Development against current and emerging platforms, ie., browser-based distribution & proprietary Learning Management Systems and Over-The-Top platforms.
- Product Platform Engineering against various products such as subscription/eCommerce, educational assessment, HTML5 activities, etc.
- Product Operations (Hosting, Cloud Services, etc.)
- Data Engineering (Product Content, User Generated Content and Customer Data)
- Assist in researching and management of relationships with technical services providers.
- Project Management and Time Management skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- Planning and organizing – Demonstrates ability to develop effective short and long-range courses of actions for meeting goals; anticipates obstacles to goal attainment and identifies necessary activities and resources to accomplish goals.
- Knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal channels.
- Demonstrates ability to be flexible to new opportunities, to think ahead, monitor own progress and make adjustments when necessary .
- Drive for Results – Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- 1. Technical Functional Management
- Hands on with proven track record of delivering digital product and leading by example.
- Has thorough knowledge of the best practices of software design, architecture, scalability, testing.
- Knowledge of the latest trends and patterns in the industry from social to cloud to mobile. Has a business focus pragmatist approach.
- Aware of open platforms and how they scale. Has experience with open-source frame-works.
- Experience with continually improving the development process, and quality and timeliness of releases.
- Knowledge of responsive design principles is necessary, as well as familiarity with native mobile apps, Web-based apps and web services.
- 2. Process/Quality
- Able to plan, organize, and oversee development of new releases and other modifications to the website.
- Has significant experience with managing a product and working collaboratively to execute the digital product roadmap.
- Experienced practitioner of Agile / Lean Software Development. Must know how to optimize & organize.
- Able to continuously improve the organization.
- Ability to assess talent level of technical staff and make recommendations accordingly.
- Knows how to empower people through inclusion, trust, stability and respect.
- Must be able to build good working relationships across management team.
- 8+ years of experience in related position.
- A strong knowledge of Web applications, Mobile and/or innovative new product-platforms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in both leading a team directly and by influence to meet aggressive goals with high judgment applied on how products are built.
- Experience working with digital asset and/or workflow management tools.
- College degree in business, marketing, engineering or computer science