|Location||Midtown West, NYC|
Channel One News
Channel One News is a digital content provider focused on encouraging young people to be informed, digital and curriculum savvy global citizens. Our show is a daily news program with supplementary educational resources, aligned to Common Core State Standards (CCSS), to help students, teachers and parents interpret the news of the day and spark important conversations. The Peabody and Telly award-winning program is broadcast to more than 5 million young people in upper elementary schools, middle schools and high schools across the country.
Channel One News is seeking a skilled WordPress Developer to join our growing digital team. The WordPress Developer will be charged with developing interactive curriculum products used in schools nationwide, in addition to performing similar work on our flagship website, ChannelOne.com. We use a highly customized version of WordPress as our content-management system. The ideal candidate will be someone that is technically curious, has a solid understanding of PHP and database design, and writes code with performance and scalability in mind.
● Following editorial guidelines, create WP plugins and templates for our curriculum product
● Translating designs with a good understanding of usability and appreciation for good user experience
● Compatibility test within the wide range of platforms utilized by our users
Required Skills and Experience:
● Strong WordPress working experience building themes and plugins
● Extensive experience templating for WordPress
● Experience with version control
● Experience with cross-browser compatibility and testing
● Experience using project-management and/or bug-tracking software
● 5+ years of significant website development with a strong background in large-scale, database-driven web application development.
Desired Skills and Experience:
● Understanding of RESTful Web Services technologies such as JSON, SOAP, and HTTP
● Experience with Agile methodologies
● Experience with WordPress Mobile or app a plus