KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The military spokesman for the U.N. mission in Congo says that the Congolese troops backed by U.N. forces launched a military operation against a rebel group in the country’s northeast.
Jean-Marie Joseph Goncalves said Wednesday that U.N. forces were taking part in the operation by both land and air, including attack helicopters. He said the rebel positions were neutralized with 34 killed.
The rebel group, known as the Front for Patriotic Resistance in Ituri or FRPI, has been active in the northeast.
The cooperation comes after the U.N. and the Congolese military reached an impasse over another joint offensive that would have gone after another rebel group.
Critics had raised concerns about the two Congolese generals chosen to lead that effort; both had been accused of human rights violations.