LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three media outlets are going to court to seek the release of videos showing the 2013 fatal police shooting of an unarmed man in a Los Angeles-area community.
The videos showing Gardena police officers shooting 34-year-old Ricardo Diaz Zeferino are under a federal court seal.
In a filing Monday, The Associated Press, Los Angeles Times and Bloomberg argue Gardena officials only wanted the videos sealed to avoid scrutiny and that the public has a right to see them.
Attorneys representing Zeferino call his death a cold-blooded shooting, saying three officers shot him on June 2, 2013, as he was following their orders to raise his hands.
Gardena officials cited privacy concerns and said releasing the videos could result in unfounded speculation.
The city agreed to pay paid Zeferino’s family and another man who was wounded a total of $4.7 million to settle a federal civil rights lawsuit.
CANTON, Miss. (AP) — Man pleads guilty to conspiracy for videotaping ill wife of a senator during election campaign.
BOSTON (AP) — The family of a Boston man killed by terror investigators says surveillance video of his fatal shooting doesn’t show him brandishing a weapon or approaching officers aggressively, as authorities have claimed.
Usaama Rahim’s family said Monday that the video shows the 26-year-old security guard was not the initial aggressor.
Instead, they say, it shows at least five officers surrounding him in a military formation June 2.
They say the video is evidence that Rahim was breaking no laws as he walked toward a bus stop on his way to work. The family says many questions remain and the video only reveals part of the story.
Police say Rahim was under 24-hour surveillance and was plotting to kill police officers. They also say he was brandishing a knife and lunged toward officers with it.
McKINNEY, Texas (AP) — A suburban Dallas police officer has been placed on administrative leave after a video showed him pushing a 14-year-old girl in a swimsuit to the ground outside a pool and pointing his gun at other teens.
McKinney Police Chief Greg Conley said at a news conference Sunday that the incident began when officers responded Friday to a report of a disturbance involving a group of juveniles at a neighborhood pool.
The police department said in an earlier statement that the young people did not live in the area or have permission to be there.
When officers arrived, residents and private security pointed out the juveniles who were “creating the disturbance, fighting and refusing to leave,” Conley said.
As officers dispersed the crowd, the 14-year-old girl was “temporarily detained” by an officer, said Conley, who did not describe what led to her detainment.
The video showed the officer pulling the bikini-clad girl to the ground then appearing to use his knees to pin her facedown. He can also be seen pointing his gun at other teens and cursing.
The police statement said the video “has raised concerns that are being investigated” by the department. The officer is on leave pending the outcome, Conley said.
The officer’s name was not immediately released. Conley said he did not have information about how long the officer had been with the force.
One man was arrested for interference with the duties of a peace officer and evading arrest, Conley said. Everyone else was released.
McKinney Mayor Brian Loughmiller said in a written statement that he was “disturbed and concerned by the incident and actions depicted in the video.” He called for the city and police to quickly investigate.
McKinney is about 35 miles northeast of Dallas.
LONDON (AP) — Facebook says it won’t take down a video showing a baby being swung by its arms that a British charity says amounts to child abuse.
But the social media giant says it will place a warning on the video and remove it from any posts supporting or encouraging such behavior.
The video shows what proponents call “baby yoga.” They post videos of babies being swung about by the arms and legs that have prompted periodic outcries.
The latest video shows a wailing baby being swung upside down over a bucket of water.
Britain’s National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children wants the government to intervene. Its chief executive, Peter Wanless, said Friday that it’s time for “the light to be shone on the responsibilities of social media companies.”
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — The first inductees into the new World Video Game Hall of Fame include “Pong,” the game that introduced millions to electronic play, “Doom,” which triggered a debate over the role of games and violence in society, and “Super Mario Bros.,” whose mustachioed hero has migrated to everything from fruit snacks to sneakers.
The first six games to enter the hall of fame cross decades and platforms, but all have impacted the video game industry, popular culture and society at large, according to the new hall at The Strong museum in Rochester, where the games were enshrined Thursday.
Joining “Pong,” launched in 1972, “Doom,” from 1993, and 1985’s “Super Mario Bros.” are arcade draw “Pac-Man” (1980); Russian import “Tetris” (1984); and “World of Warcraft” (2004), which has swallowed millions of players into its online virtual universe.
The newly created World Video Game Hall of Fame pays homage to an industry that rivals Hollywood in the entertainment pecking order. The Strong, which bills itself as the national museum of play and also houses the National Toy Hall of Fame, has been preserving and collecting games and artifacts for years through its International Center for the History of Electronic Games.
“Electronic game play is increasingly influential and important,” Strong President and Chief Executive G. Rollie Adams said. “It’s changing how we play, how we learn and how we connect with each other across boundaries of geography and culture.”
The inaugural hall of fame class was recommended by a panel of judges made up of journalists, scholars and other experts on the history and impact of video games. They chose from among 15 finalists that also included: “Angry Birds,” ”FIFA,” ”The Legend of Zelda,” ”Minecraft,” ”The Oregon Trail,” ”Pokemon,” ”The Sims,” ”Sonic the Hedgehog” and “Space Invaders.”
Nominations for the hall can come from anyone and be from any platform — arcade, console, computer, handheld or mobile. But they must have had a long stretch of popularity and left a mark on the video game industry or pop culture.
“Doom,” for example, introduced the idea of a game “engine” that separated the game’s basic functions from its artwork and other aspects, but even more significantly was one of the early games cited in the debate that continues today over whether violent games inspire real-life aggression.
“World of Warcraft,” is the largest MMORPG — “massively multiplayer online role-playing game” — ever created. As of February, it had more than 10 million subscribers, represented by avatars they create, according to The Strong.
Sixteen-year-old gamer Shaun Corbett, of Rochester, said after the induction ceremony that he was expecting “Doom,” ”Super Mario Bros.” and “Pac-Man” to get in.
“‘Tetris’ I wasn’t expecting but I can see where they’re coming from. It made puzzle games popular,” Corbett said.
He said his fascination with video games started with Pokemon.
“I enjoyed watching the show. I enjoyed playing the card game,” he said. “I got the video game on the Game Boy Advance for Christmas when I was 7 and I just have a lot of good memories of playing it with my cousins, my parents showing me how it worked.”
More than 150 million Americans play video games, according to the Entertainment Software Association, and 42 percent play for at least three hours a week. In 2014, the industry sold more than 135 million games and generated more than $22 billion in revenue, according to the ESA.
Nominations for the hall of fame’s class of 2016 are open from now through the end of March.