CPR — an acronym for cardiopulmonary resuscitation — is a life-saving technique used during an emergency when a person’s breathing or heartbeat has stopped.
It’s important to remember that in a case of emergency, the first thing to always do is to call 911.
These are the basics steps that the National Institute of Health lists as essential to performing CPR:
1. Check for responsiveness. Shake or tap the person gently. See if the person moves or makes a noise. Shout, “Are you OK?”
2. Call 911 if there is no response. Shout for help and send someone to call 911. If you are alone, call 911 and retrieve an automated external defibrillator (AED) if one is available, even if you have to leave the person.
3. Carefully place the person on their back. If there is a chance the person has a spinal injury, two people should move the person to prevent the head and neck from twisting.
4. Perform chest compressions:
6. Look, listen, and feel for breathing. Place your ear close to the person’s mouth and nose. Watch for chest movement. Feel for breath on your cheek.
7. If the person is not breathing or has trouble breathing:
8. Continue CPR (30 chest compressions followed by 2 breaths, then repeat) until the person recovers or help arrives. If an AED for adults is available, use it as soon as possible.
If the person starts breathing again, place them in the recovery position. Periodically re-check for breathing until help arrives.
And here is a video, courtesy of the American Heart Association, which shows you Hands-Only CPR in action:
Information and image source: US National Library of Medicine; A.D.A.M., Inc
I think that if we learn CPR we will have less of a chance of being worried of choking. We would be able to not stand by everywhere in the school.
I love that we can save lifes
I love that we can save lifes, but what about everything else
yes because it can teach us before we grow up
Yes because it is very important for CPR!!
Well what about the mouth cpr? i already learened that one but its still cool!
I think that CPR is a very important skill to know. CPR should be requiered in order to graduate high school, because it could save many lives. You can never know when it will come in handy!
I say lol! lol