Tutu off intensive treatment but remains hospitalized

By 07.19.2015 news > World

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Retired archbishop Desmond Tutu has completed treatment for an infection but will remain in the hospital for observation, his foundation said Sunday.

The Desmond and Leah Tutu Foundation statement said Tutu was off the intravenously administered intensive antibiotics treatment, but would stay a few more days in the hospital.

Tutu’s daughter Mpho Tutu said her father was in good spirits when she went to visit him. Tutu was “filled with gratitude for the care he was receiving and for the love and prayers of friends around the world,” she said in the statement.

The 83-year-old Nobel laureate was admitted to a Cape Town hospital last Tuesday where he received treatment for a “stubborn infection.”

Tutu’s treatment was not related to his prostate cancer, which he has had for 18 years and is currently dormant, according to his daughter.

Earlier this week, she said Tutu will be participating in fewer public engagements, once he is discharged.

“My father is not quite as young as he looks so we recognize that his energy is waning a little bit,” Mpho Tutu said during the public update on her father’s health.

Tutu was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984 for campaigning against apartheid.

leave a comment