CHICAGO (AP) — Federal authorities have decided not to prosecute a man whose online threats prompted the University of Chicago to close for a day last November.
University of Illinois at Chicago engineering student Jabari R. Dean threatened to kill whites at the University of Chicago after the release of video of the 2014 shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald by a Chicago police officer.
Prosecutors on Wednesday told U.S. District Judge John Blakey they’ve agreed to defer prosecution of Dean on one count of transmitting a threat in interstate commerce. Dean must perform 100 hours of community service, pass drug screenings and comply with other conditions similar to pretrial bail restrictions.
Defense attorney Damon Cheronis says Dean hopes to finish his studies. He was kicked out of school because of the charges.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The founding members of the O’Jays are asking a Republican to stop using their music for the second time in a week.
In a statement released Wednesday, Eddie Levert and Walter Williams said they sent a letter to Rep. John Mica, R-Florida, asking him to stop using their song “For The Love Of Money” in an online video featuring Donald Trump posted in 2014 .
The R&B group previously decried Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump for using their song “Love Train” during last week’s Republican National Convention, including a version remixed as “Trump Train” without the O’Jays’ consent.
“Trump and his people have no right to help themselves to our music,” Levert said. “He presents himself as supporting ‘law and order’ but, in truth, he’s not respecting the law at all.”
The O’Jays’ song “For the Love of Money” served as the theme song for Trump’s reality show “The Apprentice.”
A Trump campaign spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
NEW YORK (AP) — A man accused of flinging a fake bomb into a police van in Times Square is headed for a psychiatric examination to determine whether he’s fit to stand trial.
A judge ordered the exam Wednesday as Hector Meneses was arraigned by video from a hospital where he’s been held since his arrest last Thursday. Meneses is due back in court next month for the results of the psychiatric exam.
When officers caught up with him after the bomb scare, he engaged them in an hours-long standoff in a prominent intersection near Central Park while falsely claiming to have explosives strapped to him, police said.
Meneses, 52, hasn’t entered a plea to the false-bombing and false-reporting charges. His lawyer didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment.
Sgt. Hameed Armani and Officer Peter Cybulski were in a parked, marked police van when a passing driver lobbed an object through the van’s open window, security video showed. The device, wrapped in a white T-shirt, made a clicking sound and had lights that flashed faster and faster, according to a court complaint.
“Boss, this is a bomb,” Cybulski said, he recalled later that day as he and his partner were lauded for their fast-acting bravery in handling the scare.
Rather than fleeing for their own safety, they drove the device away from crowds before taking it out of the van.
“We’re not going to make it,” Armani recalled thinking, “but I’m happy nobody else is going to get hurt.”
The object proved harmless, made of a red candle, two solar-powered garden lights and tin foil, police said.
Police said officers caught up with Meneses about a mile away at Columbus Circle, where he barricaded himself in his SUV. He said he wanted to die, purported to have a bomb strapped to a vest he was wearing, donned a red helmet and held a household remote-control device as if planning to use it to detonate something, police said.
After police used a robot to scan Meneses’ vehicle and tried to talk him out during several hours, SWAT officers pepper-sprayed him and pulled him from the vehicle, Chief of Department James O’Neill and Manhattan detectives’ Chief William Aubry said last week.
While Meneses didn’t have a bomb, he did have 19 more garden lights and a capped pot with wires coming out, seemingly meant to simulate a pressure cooker bomb, police said.
NEW YORK (AP) — Facebook’s stock is trading higher after the world’s biggest social media company handily surpassed Wall Street’s expectations for the second quarter, barreling ahead on mobile advertisements, user growth and the next frontier — video.
Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg said in an interview that people are spending more time each day on Facebook, on average. The company’s focus on video is attracting more attention from users, she said. Facebook has been working to get users to create and watch more videos, from each other, from businesses and from celebrities.
Facebook had 1.71 billion monthly users as of June 30, up 15 percent year-over-year. Mobile accounted for 84 percent of the quarter’s ad revenue.
Overall, Facebook Inc. on Wednesday said its second-quarter net income nearly tripled, to $2.06 billion, or 71 cents per share, up from $719 million, or 25 cents per share, in the same period a year earlier.
Adjusted earnings were 97 cents per share in the latest quarter, beating Wall Street expectations of 81 cents per share, according to 15 analysts surveyed by Zacks Investment Research.
Menlo Park, California-based Facebook’s revenue grew 59 percent, to $6.44 billion. Eleven analysts surveyed by Zacks expected $6.01 billion.
Facebook has a long tradition of surpassing analysts’ expectations with its quarterly earnings.
The company’s stock rose $8.01, or 6.5 percent, to $131.35 in after-hours trading. Shares have increased 18 percent since the beginning of the year, while the Standard & Poor’s 500 index has increased 6 percent.
Elements of this story were generated by Automated Insights (http://automatedinsights.com/ap) using data from Zacks Investment Research. Access a Zacks stock report on FB at http://www.zacks.com/ap/FB
Keywords: Facebook, Earnings Report, Priority Earnings
TORONTO (AP) — Pitching against the Blue Jays for the first time, Padres rookie Luis Perdomo made a big impression on Toronto slugger Edwin Encarnacion.
Adam Rosales hit a two-run home run, Alex Dickerson and Brett Wallace each hit solo shots and the Padres beat the Blue Jays 8-4 Wednesday, avoiding a three-game sweep.
San Diego extended its club-record streak of games with at least one home run to 25. That’s the longest run since the 2002 Texas Rangers set a major league record by homering in 27 straight.
“Our lineup has a lot of talent,” Dickerson said. “Every single guy is a threat to take you deep.”
Perdomo (5-4) allowed four runs and six hits in 5 /-3 innings to win back-to-back starts.
Encarnacion, who went 0-for-2 with a strikeout against Perdomo, asked San Diego catcher Christian Bethancourt for a scouting report on the young hurler.
“He asked me about him,” Bethancourt said. “He’s like: ‘Who is he? Where did he come from?'”
After Bethancourt explained that Perdomo was a Rule 5 pick who had never pitched above Class-A before this season, Encarnacion asked the Padres catcher to pass along a compliment on his behalf.
“He said: ‘Just tell him to keep doing it, he’s doing great. I’m glad to see kids have success like that.'”
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons was equally impressed by Perdomo, who came in with a 6.93 ERA.
“Great arm, it didn’t look like a six-plus (ERA),” Gibbons said. “He had great life on the ball, nice little breaking ball. I was really impressed.”
To Padres manager Andy Green, no one else in the majors has made strides as big as Perdomo this season.
“That’s exciting because he’s part of our future,” Green said.
Wallace reached base three times. He was hit by a pitch and scored on Rosales’ homer in the third, connected off R.A. Dickey in the fifth and hit an RBI single off Joe Biagini in the sixth.
Dickerson homered for the fourth time in four games when he connected off Franklin Morales in the eighth. He is first Padres rookie to homer in four straight games.
“He’s amazing,” Bethancourt said. “I was telling him he looks like a video game. Every time he’s in the batter’s box, you think he’s going to hit a homer.”
Dickey (7-12) allowed seven runs, six earned, and four hits in 5 2/3 innings, starting on three days of rest after the Blue Jays adjusted their rotation for a weekend series against Baltimore.
The knuckleballer is winless in three starts and has allowed six home runs in that span.
“It’s been a little bit of a rut,” Dickey said.” I was going pretty good before the All-Star break and I’ve run into a little adversity here the last three outings.”
Dickey has surrendered 26 home runs this season, tying him with Kansas City’s Ian Kennedy and Chris Young for most in the majors.
Melvin Upton Jr. made his first start for Toronto after being acquired from San Diego on Tuesday. He went 1 for 4 with a single.
Right-hander Joaquin Benoit made his Blue Jays debut with a scoreless ninth. Toronto traded right-hander Drew Storen to Seattle for Benoit on Tuesday night.
BETHANCOURT’S BIG DASH
Bethancourt circled the bases after hitting an RBI double in the sixth, advancing to third on Kevin Pillar’s fielding error and scoring on an errant relay throw by Devon Travis. “It was fun,” Bethancourt said. “I got tired.”
Padres: 3B Yangervis Solarte was placed on the family leave list, meaning he will be out three to seven days. San Diego recalled INF/OF Alexi Amarista and LHP Buddy Baumann from Triple-A El Paso.
Blue Jays: RHP Bo Schultz was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo to make room for Benoit.
Padres: After an off day Thursday, San Diego opens a three-game series at home to Cincinnati on Friday. RHP Edwin Jackson (1-0, 2.92) starts against Reds LHP Brandon Finnegan (5-8, 4.93). Jackson is 403 with a 3.99 ERA in 10 career games against Cincinnati.
Blue Jays: Toronto is off Thursday before opening a three-game series against AL East-leading Baltimore on Friday. RHP Marco Estrada (5-4, 2.94) was pushed back two days to start against the Orioles. Estrada is winless in four starts. RHP Kevin Gausman (2-7, 3.77) starts for Baltimore.
ROCKINGHAM, Vt. (AP) — The wooden remains of a 145-year-old covered bridge destroyed five years ago during Tropical Storm Irene have been buried, upsetting some nearby residents who felt the timbers should have been used to help build a kiosk near the rebuilt bridge.
Rockingham Selectwoman Ann DiBernardo said some residents of the Bartonsville neighborhood wanted to use some of the wood from the Bartonsville Covered Bridge, which was about 150 long and had siding and a roof, to build a kiosk and other items honoring it.
“I’m just astounded,” DiBernardo said. “I am shocked and surprised. … There were so many people in Bartonsville who wanted it.”
The destruction of the original bridge, which was built in the 1870s, was captured on video and became an iconic image of Irene’s fury.
Town Manager Willis “Chip” Stearns told The Rutland Herald (http://bit.ly/2avitDr ) the remains were buried about six weeks ago at the town’s gravel pit in Bartonsville. Stearns said the Vermont League of Cities and Towns, which owned the bridge’s wooden remains, asked him to get rid of them after it failed to sell them.
“It was put in a hole and covered up,” he said.
Former Rockingham Select Board member Susan Hammond, who took the video of the bridge being swept away, had led the effort build a new covered bridge.
“It was heartbreaking to hear it,” she said.
Stearns said pressure-treated timber and creosote-treated timber in the bridge were given to people in New Hampshire for private projects.
Construction on a new covered bridge, modeled after the original, began in 2012. The new bridge opened to traffic in 2013.
Information from: Rutland Herald, http://www.rutlandherald.com/