CINCINNATI (AP) — Ohio Gov. John Kasich won’t speak at the Republican National Convention where Donald Trump is set to become his party’s presidential nominee, but he will speak to the NAACP national convention that Trump is bypassing.

Emmalee Kalmbach, a Kasich spokeswoman, confirmed Friday to The Associated Press that Kasich will speak in Cincinnati on Sunday, the day before the RNC begins across the state in Cleveland.

Kasich has declined to endorse Trump and doesn’t plan to take part in GOP convention floor proceedings in his home state, where Kasich won the GOP primary and had hoped to challenge Trump in a contested convention before the businessman’s delegate lead became insurmountable.

Trump irritated NAACP leaders earlier this week by turning down their invitation, citing scheduling conflicts with the Republican convention. Presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton is scheduled to speak to the NAACP on Monday.

“The governor considers it a great privilege for Ohio to host the NAACP’s national convention, and he is honored to speak at their event,” Kalmbach said by email.

Kasich had been listed among speakers invited to the NAACP convention that will open this weekend, but his office had been trying to work out a time for him to address the nation’s oldest civil rights organization. The exact time hadn’t been decided yet Friday morning.

NAACP President Cornell William Brooks told CNN earlier this week that Trump should have made the time for the civil rights leaders, especially so soon after videotaped killings of black men by police in Louisiana and Minnesota, followed by the killings of five Dallas police officers by a black sniper.

“We represent an occasion for those running for president to speak to the nation’s most critical issues at a critical hour in this country,” Brooks told CNN. He called the gathering a chance for Clinton and Trump to provide “a window into not only their policies, but into their heart and character as a candidate.”

Republican nominees John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012 addressed the NAACP conventions.

———

Follow Dan Sewell at http://www.twitter.com/dansewell

For some of his other recent stories: http://bigstory.ap.org/content/dan-sewell

WASHINGTON (AP) — It would take almost 14 days of eyes glued to the television to watch all the feel-good Hillary Clinton ads that have aired since the general election campaign began last month.

Meanwhile, anyone flipping through the channels looking for positive ads about Donald Trump would be disappointed: He hasn’t yet put up a spot appealing to November voters, and groups supporting him have been similarly silent.

The lopsided commercial airwaves show the presidential candidates have drastically different views of the importance of traditional political campaigning. Trump says he sees little need for advertising at this stage. Instead, he has been banking on free media coverage propelled by his celebrity appeal.

As a consequence, Trump has largely ceded control over what the voting public is hearing about him. Clinton’s large batch of biographical ads has given her an opportunity to directly influence views about her image.

Up next is what amounts to an hour-long infomercial Thursday night in Cleveland, as Trump accepts his party’s nomination during a speech that will be televised widely in prime time. Clinton has the same perk the following week from the Democratic convention in Philadelphia.

After that, Trump’s campaign has said he may begin advertising. That would be a dramatic change.

While Trump has aired zero ads, Clinton has been piping thousands of commercials into the homes of swing-state voters in places like Florida, Ohio, North Carolina and Virginia. Specific Florida markets such as Orlando, Tampa and Fort Myers have been favored targets, as well as Denver, for Clinton’s ads.

Since June 8, the day after she claimed the Democratic nomination, Clinton has put at least 30,700 commercials on broadcast TV, an Associated Press review of Kantar Media’s campaign advertising data shows.

The majority highlight her work as first lady to expand health care for children.

“For Hillary, it’s always been about kids,” a narrator says in an ad called “Quiet Moments,” which has run more than any other, some 11,400 times as of this week.

A 60-second spot called “Always” seems to spell out the reason for her ads. “She would grow up to be one of the most recognizable women in the world,” a narrator says. “But less well-known are the causes that have been at the center of her life.”

The commercial rolls through milestones in her life, beginning with black-and-white footage of her toddling down steps.

The few ads paid for by Trump supporters bash Clinton rather than make the case for him. For example, a National Rifle Association ad urges people to vote for Trump by flashing his name for four seconds at the end of a 30-second spot. But the narrator says nothing about him — and doesn’t even utter his name.

Clinton’s campaign released new ads this week. One shows children watching television as Trump makes some of his most inflammatory comments, including him saying, “And you can tell them to go (bleep) themselves.” The commercial asks, “Our children are watching. What example will we set for them?”

Another ad called “Unsteady” features video of Trump saying he would be open to Japan and Saudi Arabia having nuclear weapons. “More countries with more nuclear weapons? Hillary Clinton knows that’s the last thing we need,” a narrator says, adding: “An unsteady world demands a very steady leader.”

Those ads follow two Clinton campaign ads that mock him for watching TV shows for military advice and consulting with himself for policy strategy. The pro-Clinton super PAC Priorities USA is also airing thousands of spots calling Trump “too dangerous for America.”

Political advertising strategists are torn over whether the lack of positive Trump ads matters.

“You never want to be in the position of being outshouted by your opponent,” said Russ Schriefer, a senior adviser to Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race. He and others said the crush of unanswered summertime Democratic advertising hardened voters’ opinions of Romney as an uncaring businessman.

Both Trump and Clinton are historically disliked by voters, according to recent AP-GfK surveys, making upbeat, biographical ads particularly important, Schriefer said. “Someone needs to inject favorability into the bloodstream of the electorate,” he said. “Since she is doing that in a vacuum, her ads will work better.”

Yet Fred Davis, a Republican ad-maker not involved in the 2016 campaign, argues this race has unique features that dampen the impact of ads.

“They are perhaps the best-known presidential final contenders in our lifetime,” he said. “So the value of bio ads suddenly drops. This would imply Hillary wasting her moolah; Trump playing it smart.”

Trump’s team was similarly dismissive of ads early in the primaries. He eventually did put up ads — including some traditional “who I am” ones similar in tone to those from Clinton and previous presidential contenders.

Those offer clues of what Trump might say in his general election ads. In one of his softest commercials, his son Donald Trump Jr. speaks to the camera with a row of family photos behind him.

“Growing up, my brother, sister and I had to really know what we were talking about before bringing him any kind of a proposal,” he says. The elder Trump is shown kissing and hugging kids, as his son adds, “He may be a little less tough on his grandchildren right now, but it’s that toughness that I want renegotiating trade deals with China and Mexico.”

He concludes: “My father will make an incredible president.”

———

Follow Chad Day and Julie Bykowicz on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChadSDay and https://twitter.com/bykowicz

———

Keep track on how much Clinton and Trump are spending on television advertising, and where they’re spending it, via AP’s interactive ad tracker. http://elections.ap.org/content/ad-spending

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A deaf New Jersey woman who primarily communicates in sign language is suing Taco Bell, saying the company and its restaurants failed to accommodate her at drive-thru windows.

Gina Cirrincione says she wrote her order and handed it to an employee at the drive-thru pickup window at a Taco Bell in Pleasantville in January. A video shows an employee saying he would take the order “one time,” but she would have to come inside in the future.

She also claims a drive-thru employee at a Taco Bell in Atlantic City returned a note for food without filling the order.

Cirrincione wants Taco Bell to develop a policy to consider the needs of deaf customers. She’s also seeking damages.

Taco Bell has not returned a call seeking comment.

PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Diamondbacks have sent pitcher Shelby Miller to Triple-A Reno, a move that he said he saw coming.

“I’ve been struggling up here for a while,” Miller said in the Arizona clubhouse Thursday. “I’m surprised I stayed up here this long.”

Miller has been a major disappointment after the Diamondbacks got him in an offseason trade with Atlanta for outfielder Ender Inciarte, 2015 No. 1 overall draft pick Dansby Swanson and top pitching prospect Aaron Blair.

“We just have to find a way to get him back to pitching the way he can,” manager Chip Hale said.

The right-hander is 2-9 with a 7.14 ERA. He was on the disabled list with a finger injury and worked in the minors to find his form. After some progress in is return, Miller had another rough night last week in a 13-6 home loss to San Diego. After blanking the Padres for three innings, he gave up five runs in the fourth when Arizona had a 4-0 lead.

“His stuff was good at times, good enough to win here,” Hale said. “He just couldn’t put it together, so he’ll go down there, work on it and pitch his way back to the big leagues.”

Immediately after giving up so much to get Miller, the Diamondbacks penciled him in as the No. 2 starter behind Zack Greinke. But the team stumbled out of the gate and finds itself in last place in the NL West (38-52), 19 games behind first-place San Francisco.

“I told him we’re not going to be the team that we envisioned without him being who Shelby Miller can be,” Hale said. “That was my message.”

Hale said left-hander Edwin Escobar would be called up from Reno to take Miller’s roster spot. Escobar will work out of the bullpen, Hale said, and Zack Godley will be recalled from Reno to start Tuesday against Toronto.

Miller said he pored over videos of his pitching during the break and said he saw some differences between this year and last.

“The biggest thing is to get back to maybe a little bit simpler and not so much forcing things and trying to make a perfect pitch,” he said. “I think that’s when mechanics come easier and everything kind of flows and feels free. Hopefully I can get to that point and get back up here.”

Hale said Miller’s mechanics seem the same as they were last season.

“The mental side of it is just really hard to deal with,” Hale said. “When you don’t have success, it festers and it gets worse.”

Hale called it “a disappointing move for us to make as coaches.”

“We feel like we’re here to make them better, make them better ballplayers and pitchers,” he said, “and we’ve dropped the ball with him.”

Miller said he had no idea how long he’d be gone.

“It could be the rest of the year, it could be a couple of weeks, who knows,” he said.

Hale said Miller would have to earn his way back, like any other player.

“It’s a performance-based game,” Hale said.

The Diamondbacks also don’t have Greinke, who they signed to a six-year, $206.5 million contract in the offseason. He’s on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique.

Arizona is home against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Vevo, the music video brand of labels Sony and Universal, wants to give you a reason to watch its videos somewhere other than YouTube.

The relaunch of its mobile app Thursday adds several hosts who will curate playlists and create original snippets of video. It also introduces a video player that, like Snapchat, will play full-screen videos while a phone is upright instead of sideways, and provides a personalized feed of recommended videos that automatically shows moving image previews.

CEO Erik Huggers said the revamp is the “first step on the journey” toward moving audiences from the “one size fits all” YouTube platform to an app dedicated solely to music. He said the refresh paves the way for more originals, an ad-free subscription plan and more ways for fans to express their musical tastes.

Although YouTube remains a huge driver of Vevo’s success, moving off the world’s biggest video platform will enable Vevo and its record label owners to keep more revenue from ads.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department is underutilizing programs meant to keep low-level criminal offenders out of prison and is spending millions of dollars to lock up people who might be suitable candidates for leniency, a watchdog report found Thursday.

The audit from the department’s inspector general examines federal diversion programs that offer alternatives to prison for certain suspects accused of nonviolent and low-level crimes.

Then-Attorney General Eric Holder called for wider use of diversion programs as part of a 2013 initiative, known as “Smart on Crime,” intended to reduce the federal prison population and reshape the criminal justice system. Advocates also have trumpeted such programs as a fairer and more cost-effective way to deal with nonviolent drug users and offenders who aren’t thought to pose a public safety threat.

But the inspector general’s office found that the Justice Department is making uneven use of pretrial diversion programs and similar programs run by the federal courts.

Nearly half of the 94 federal judicial districts had just five or fewer successful pretrial diversion participants between fiscal years 2012 and 2014, the report said. Under that program, certain low-level offenders are steered away from the court system and can have charges against them dismissed by prosecutors if they successfully complete a period of supervision.

The vast majority of judicial districts — 78— do not offer court-based diversion programs like drug courts, which offer treatment in place of prison, the inspector general said.

The inspector general’s office said it identified 7,106 offenders over a three-year period who could have been suitable candidates for pretrial diversion. But of those, only 1,520 were found to have successfully completed a pretrial diversion program. The department spent millions of dollars to imprison offenders who might be suitable for pretrial diversion, the audit found.

“By diverting those offenders from traditional court proceedings, the department could have potentially saved millions of tax dollars in prison costs,” Inspector General Michael Horowitz said in a videotaped statement accompanying the audit.

The inspector general tried to establish how many offenders had been placed in diversionary programs, but the Justice Department does not track those numbers and has “few, if any, accurate metrics to properly evaluate whether these diversion programs are effective in reducing prosecution and incarceration costs, or reducing recidivism,” Horowitz said.

In a response to the report, the Justice Department said it agreed that more could be done to evaluate the effectiveness of diversion programs, but it said that the number of such programs had increased dramatically in the last few years.

————

Follow Eric Tucker on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/etuckerAP