NEW YORK (AP) — Disgraced former congressman Anthony Weiner (WEE’-nur) acknowledges he communicated online with a girl but says he’s also been the subject of a hoax.
An online news outlet published an interview with a 15-year-old girl who says she exchanged sexually charged messages with Weiner.
The girl told DailyMail.com the online text and video exchanges went on for several months this year. She says they included Skype chats in which Weiner asked her to undress and touch herself.
Weiner on Wednesday gave The Associated Press an email supposedly written by the girl to her teacher, in which she recants her story. But Weiner says he has “repeatedly demonstrated terrible judgment” about the people with whom he communicates online.
The Democrat resigned from Congress in 2011 over a sexting scandal.
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) — President Tabare Vazquez said Wednesday that the demands of a former Guantanamo detainee who is on a hunger strike exceed Uruguay’s capacity to deliver.
Abu Wa’el Dhiab has not been eating for more than a month trying to pressure the government into letting him join his wife and children in Turkey or in another nation. He agreed to start drinking water late Monday to give the government more time to offer him a proposal to leave Uruguay.
Vazquez said at a news conference that Uruguay’s foreign minister would meet with officials from the U.S. State Department, but he reiterated that the solution is not up to his government.
“The Uruguayan government is doing everything possible,” Vazquez said. “But as I’ve said in the past: If the countries where the Syrian citizen wants to go don’t take him, we can’t do anything about it.”
Christian Mirza, the government’s liaison with Dhiab and five other ex-Guantanamo detainees resettled in Uruguay, has said that Turkey, Lebanon and Qatar have rejected taking Dhiab.
Dhiab has been vocal about his unhappiness in Uruguay. Shortly after his arrival in 2014, he turned up in neighboring Argentina and denounced the U.S. failure to close Guantanamo. He has also protested outside the U.S. Embassy in Montevideo. In July, he set off alarms when he vanished for several weeks, before turning up in Venezuela, which sent him back to Uruguay.
Dhiab briefly fell into a coma last week and has been hospitalized twice.
The 45-year-old Syrian was released from the U.S. base in Cuba in December 2014, but could not return to his homeland due to the civil war there. He was detained for 12 years as an enemy combatant with suspected ties to militants but was never charged. While at Guantanamo, he staged a lengthy hunger strike and frequently clashed with guards during his protest.
MIAMI (AP) — Chris Bosh was dealing with more than one blood clot earlier this year, and said Wednesday that he felt written off when Miami Heat team doctors advised him that the situation would likely be career-ending.
It’s the first time Bosh has said there was more than the one known clot that was found in his calf in February and ended this past season.
Bosh made his revelations in the first chapter of a documentary that he’s releasing through former Heat teammate LeBron James’ “Uninterrupted” digital platform, with more episodes being planned for release every two or three days until the season begins.
Bosh said he was diagnosed with the clot in his calf on Feb. 11 after arriving in Toronto. He returned to a hospital there more than once in the next 24 hours or so for bloodwork and additional tests, including a CT scan.
“Clots were found, again,” Bosh said. “My initial thoughts from it were, first of all, you have to be kidding. Secondly, this isn’t real.”
Bosh said that he then returned to Miami after the All-Star break and met with doctors. His 2014-15 season was also cut short at the All-Star break because of a clot that was found in one of his lungs.
“They told me that my season’s over. My career is probably over. This just happened, this is just how it is,” Bosh said, referring what followed after this year’s finding of clots. “I felt right away that I was written off. … If a doctor tells me, ‘Hey, that’s it and this is how it is’ and I don’t buy that, I think that I have the right to disagree with you. I know inside me I have a lot of talent and a lot of ability. And I have it. I know it have it.”
Bosh has now spoken about his saga with James’ platform twice, after a long podcast last week and now with the video called “Rebuilt,” a documentary chronicling what Bosh has gone through with his clot issues in each of the last two seasons.
Also Wednesday, in an interview with James’ longtime manager Maverick Carter that was streamed on Facebook and designed to promote the video series, Bosh said he remains in good spirits and confident that his situation will work itself out.
“We’re just in the process of making sure that I can get back on the court,” Bosh said.
Bosh has been back in Miami for several days after spending some of his summer in Los Angeles, and it’s still unknown if he will be cleared for training camp that starts in the Bahamas next week.
At minimum, Bosh would need to pass physical exams before that clearance gets granted.
In the podcast last week, Bosh discussed a regimen of taking bloodthinners that is utilized by NHL player Tomas Fleischmann, who he connected with through their agents this summer. Fleischmann was told that his career was over when he was diagnosed with having multiple clots, but has played for several years while on bloodthinners — either taken in pill form or through injections.
Typically, athletes in contact sports are advised to not participate when on bloodthinners because of the increased chance of internal bleeding and other complications.
Bosh wants to play this season, and is owed about $76 million for the next three seasons whether he plays or not. The Heat have not been able to comment specifically about Bosh’s medical status, though Heat President Pat Riley said over the summer that the team is open to having the All-Star forward return. And recently, Heat managing general partner Micky Arison tweeted at Bosh saying that he would see him in training camp.
“If he was on any kind of preventive therapy and had another clot, then that is very problematic,” Dr. Robert Myerburg, a professor of medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, said Wednesday. “If he was not, then just the fact that he had the second one certainly increases the risk. But in terms of the strategy that’s proposed, I have no experience with it. It’s an unusual strategy. And basically, he and the team have to make a decision of risk versus benefit.”
Recording artist Grace Potter performs this catchy song, “Look What We’ve Become.” The video recognizes the power of women at NASA– past, present and future –and the important contributions these women made to human exploration of space. Check it out!
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The deputy manager of Ron Paul’s 2012 presidential campaign was sentenced Wednesday to three months in prison for conspiring to cover up campaign payments to a former Iowa state senator, after a judge determined he played a larger role than two other aides who were spared prison time.
Like his two colleagues, Dimitri Kesari was accused as part of a scheme to file false contribution reports with the Federal Election Commission. He also received six months of home confinement, two years’ probation and a $10,000 fine.
Judge John Jarvey found Kesari had played more of an active role in arranging and concealing $73,000 in payments to a video production company that were passed on to former state Sen. Kent Sorenson. He dropped support for Michele Bachmann and endorsed Paul six days before the 2012 Iowa caucuses.
On Tuesday, campaign chairman Jesse Benton and manager John Tate were sentenced to probation, home confinement and a fine — but no prison time — for the same crimes.
All three have said they broke no laws.
“Dimitri actually read a letter to the judge asking the judge to make more mercy on Mr. Tate and Mr. Benton than on himself because they didn’t know about this he did,” said Kesari’s attorney Jesse Binnall. “We can disagree whether or not it was illegal all day long but he admitted to the court today that he made a serious mistake and judge Jarvey appropriately tempered the need for some justice here based on what he felt with an appropriate level of mercy.”
Binnall said Kesari, who lives in Hamilton, Virginia, is allowed to report to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons at a time to be arranged to begin serving the sentence.
The men plan to appeal their convictions to the U.S. 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.
A spokesman for the U.S. Department of Justice said prosecutors would have no further comment.
NEW YORK (AP) — Google wants to add a middleman to your mobile chats — a personal virtual assistant who’s not shy about interjecting itself into the conversation.
The new Allo app promises to be “smart,” sort of. Its Google Assistant will butt in with restaurant recommendations when someone types, “Want to get sushi?” It can also send daily updates on weather and sports and will also suggest replies to your friends’ messages.
The idea is to keep the conversation flowing, so you don’t have to constantly leave Allo to look up something else.
Google is releasing the free chat app Wednesday, just a week after Apple updated its own Messages app with the iOS 10 software update . Messages works on iPhones and iPads, while Allo will work for iPhones and Android phones, but not tablets.
Do you really need another chat app? Here’s more on Allo to help you decide.
Allo can help cut down on typing on small screens by suggesting replies based on context. If a friend asks how you’re doing, you can tap “Good tnx.” Allo preserves chatting shortcuts such as “u” for “you.” Apple offers something similar on its smartwatch, but not phones or tablets. Allo will also analyze photos to suggest replies such as “beautiful smile” or “the skyline looks great!” — at least for photos with smiles or skylines. Remember that this is software, so its suggestions won’t always make sense.
Of course, you’re free to type your own response. Sending a computer-generated reply to a friend can feel, well, deceptive. Worse, it might make your friend wonder if your response is genuine. And having the suggestions appear in oval bubbles in the chat can make it seem as though a stranger has joined the chat (though you can shut out Google by enabling incognito mode).
When you’re chatting with someone, you’re often making plans. Google Assistant can retrieve information on nearby restaurants, movie times and even the weather. Everyone in the chat will see the Assistant’s replies and can weigh in on the choices.
In some cases, Google Assistant will even anticipate your needs, such as when someone’s asking about getting sushi. An oval bubble appears with an offer to retrieve nearby sushi restaurants. After choosing one, you can tap for opening hours, directions or the menu.
Reservations aren’t available yet, though Google is considering third-party integrations such as OpenTable for dinner and Airbnb for accommodations. Apple’s Messages doesn’t invoke the Siri virtual assistant the same way, but it already offers integration with third-party apps so that you can make plans (and reservations) while chatting.
Beyond planning, Google Assistant can give you the latest news and sports scores, translate phrases or do math calculations. Asking for directions will bring up Google Maps.
The app’s intelligence still feels, well, limited. Though Google Assistant is an evolution of the Google Now feature that has long been on phones, it doesn’t do as much as Google Now in terms of identifying patterns or checking other Google services.
For instance, if a friend asks you when your flight leaves, Allo won’t try to suggest a reply, even though Google has your calendar. Likewise, Google Assistant won’t automatically offer traffic conditions or transit schedules for your regular commute the way Google Now does.
You can request daily updates on the weather, news and sports. But you can’t get automatic updates whenever the score changes or a game ends.
Google calls its Assistant a preview. Following its debut on Allo, it will arrive on a smart speaker called Google Home this fall.
Plain text is boring, so Allo features a slider that can make your messages and emojis larger or smaller. You can send one of hundreds of virtual stickers specifically designed for Allo.
Apple’s Messages app has a variation on this. You can make a message “loud,” such that the chat bubble briefly gets larger. Or make it “gentle” and appear in small text. Sticker packs are also available through a new app store within Messages.
One problem with both of these apps is that your friends need to be using the same app to see the desired effect. Google will send text messages to non-Allo friends, but without the special effects. Apple Messages will add notations such as “sent with Loud Effect” to those on Android or older versions of Messages.
TOO MANY APPS?
Beyond making its Assistant smarter, Google will need to persuade people they need yet another chat app, something that could be tough given that Google already offers four of them.
Google’s Hangouts text and video calling service will be targeted at business users. Allo is the consumer offering, but won’t offer video calling. That’s where the Duo app comes in. And while Allo accounts are based on your phone number, not your Google ID, you can’t use Allo to receive regular texts. On Android, Google has Messenger for that.
AP Technology Writers Michael Liedtke and Barbara Ortutay in San Francisco contributed to this story.