FOX LAKE, Ill. (AP) — Investigators in northern Illinois are hoping a $50,000 reward and new videos will help produce a break in the hunt for three men wanted in this week’s fatal shooting of a police officer. A guide to key aspects of the case:

———

THE SLAYING

Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, a 30-year police veteran who was on the cusp of retiring, was shot Tuesday in the village of Fox Lake while pursuing three suspicious men, authorities say. He told dispatchers the three ran into a swampy area and requested a second unit. Dispatchers soon lost contact with him, and backup officers found him about 50 yards from his squad car with a gunshot wound. He died soon after.

The killing occurred in an open area of trees and marshland bordered by several houses on one end and a public works site on the other. Police say they’ve previously received several complaints about vandalism and squatters in the area, but it was not clear what brought Gliniewicz to the scene Tuesday.

Fox Lake is about 45 miles north of Chicago.

———

THE LATEST

Motorola Solutions Inc., which has employees who live in the area, has offered up $50,000 in reward money for information leading to the capture and conviction of the killers. And residents and businesses have stepped forward with several more videos in addition to one earlier this week from a resident’s home security system that the homeowner says shows three men.

Lake County Major Crime Task Force Cmdr. George Filenko told reporters on Friday he believes the new videos are “even more relevant,” and that some came from intersection traffic cameras.

He said he hasn’t yet had a chance to view any of them himself because they’re being analyzed and processed by the FBI and the federal Department of Homeland Security. But he expects to have a chance to review some of them Friday.

“We’re optimistic about all of these videos right now,” Filenko said, adding that the videos are from different cameras that will put a chronological “story line together.”

Authorities hope the videos will offer investigators a detailed description of the three suspects. For three days, authorities have had only a vague description of the men that Gliniewicz radioed in to dispatchers: Two are white, the other is black.

———

CHASING LEADS

Filenko says investigators are getting so many tips by phone, email and social media that a second detective has been tasked with filtering through them. Authorities believe there’s a strong possibility the suspects are still in the general area, and detectives are depending on the public’s help.

“All it takes is one tip or good lead to break a case wide open,” Filenko said Wednesday.

Among the tips was one about three men seen leaving a gas station in Michigan. The car they were in turned out to have been stolen in the greater Chicago area, Filenko said.

“We’re still working that lead,” he said Friday, adding that the vague description has resulted in many calls from the public.

Filenko has more than 100 people actively deployed to investigate on the ground. They are going back to nearby homes to interview residents, sometimes two or three times.

During the manhunt, patrols have also searched cabins, barns and forests that dot the rural landscape and its many forest preserves.

———

NERVES RATTLED

Fox Lake is nestled in one of the state’s most popular recreational areas, a boating and fishing playground known as the Chain O’ Lakes. It’s especially busy during Labor Day weekend, usually drawing tens of thousands of visitors.

But concerns mounted that tourists might decide to go elsewhere because of the heavy police presence and fear that the fugitives could be hiding somewhere among the lakes, wetlands and forest glens.

“People are concerned about those individuals. And the few customers I get in here, that’s all they talk about,” said Marciano Martinez, co-owner of the popular Dockers restaurant.

———

MOURNING A POPULAR OFFICER

Gliniewicz, a 52-year-old tattooed officer with a shaved head, was known around town as “G.I. Joe.” Beyond his decades-long career in law enforcement, he was also a mentor and role model in the community, having led a police Explorers post for four years.

Gliniewicz was planning to retire at the end of the month and had just met Monday with the mayor to ensure that the Explorer post would go on.

His funeral will be 1 p.m. Monday at Antioch High School, northeast of Fox Lake.

NEW YORK (AP) — The release of the new Star Wars movie may still be months off, but Disney is unleashing its full marketing “Force” behind the launch of hundreds of toys and other items related to the film.

The massive marketing blitz, which Disney has named “Force Friday,” spans all kinds of media and included an 18-hour global “unboxing” streamed live on YouTube. Meanwhile, major toy retailers around the world opened their doors and held special events when the toys first became available just after midnight Friday. Among the first cities was Hong Kong with toy stores open at midnight.

The marketing push behind “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens,” is unique because it’s so far ahead of the movie’s U.S. release, 116 days to be exact. But analysts say it can work because Star Wars is such a popular franchise.

Leaked images of action figures of characters that have not even hit the big screen — like Sarco Plank, some kind of alien desert nomad that has only been glimpsed in a Vanity Fair on-set shoot — are only likely to fuel consumer demand, says Steve Pasierb, CEO of the Toy Industry Association.

“It’s pretty rare, but in the age of social media, you can get those characters out and create buzz around these things in ways that you couldn’t in the past,” Pasierb says. “There’s something easy to tap into, which is the Star Wars mystique which is some 30 years old.”

Industry analysts at PiperJaffrey say they expect some $3 billion worth of Star Wars merchandise will be sold this year and that sales next year could be even larger.

Even in a non-movie year, Star Wars merchandise has consistently sold well — $2 billion annually around the world, according to Pasierb. So it’s not so far-fetched that Disney will exceed that in the publicity-blitz filled weeks ahead of premiere of the first Star Wars movie since Episode III in 2005.

Walt Disney Co. is fanning the flames of its Lucasfilm unit by making special use of the network of YouTube talent that it acquired when it bought Maker Studios for upwards of $500 million last year. It arranged for 14 Maker stars around the globe to open new merchandise in live Web videos starting Wednesday afternoon. The event included a splashy special appearance Thursday morning on “Good Morning America,” the variety news program of Disney-owned ABC.

While it isn’t paying the stars — other than travel and expenses — it’s hardly a non-partisan group of reviewers. The finale in San Francisco was hosted by Chris Pirillo, a self-described super fan who named his daughter Jedi.

Toy makers both big and small are gearing up for a big rush on Friday, then another wave of sales as the holiday shopping season gets going and the movie’s Dec. 18 release date draws closer.

Hasbro Inc., which has been making Star Wars toys for more than 30 years, planned to unveil more than 100 different items Friday.

“There’s a new generation of boys and girls who are going to be brought in who may not even be aware of Star Wars yet,” says Joe Ninivaggi, Hasbro’s senior brand manager for Star Wars.

The Pawtucket, Rhode Island-based toy maker’s offerings include Furbacca, a Chewbacca version of its Furby toy. It’s also selling several different versions of lightsabers that feature the glowing daggers noticeable in the movie’s previews.

Sphero, a Boulder, Colorado-based robot maker and one of the first members of Disney’s Techstars program for startups, created a $150 mini version of the BB-8 droid featured in the new movie.

In the movie, the BB-8 is kind of like an updated version of R2-D2. It’s a giant rolling sphere, with a traditional droid head that somehow manages to stay on top. The mini version created by Sphero moves much the same way.

Officially unveiled Thursday, the BB-8 had generated significant buzz by Friday morning. Numerous videos were posted to Twitter and the droid was featured prominently in “Force Friday” email ads from retailers such as Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and Barnes & Noble Inc.

Developing and producing its BB-8 used up the majority of Sphero’s resources for this year. But the company, which has received funding from Disney, expects that investment to pay off for years to come.

Other toys coming out include Toronto-based Spin Master Corp.’s “Legendary Yoda,” a 16-inch version of the Jedi Master that boasts lifelike movements and voice recognition. It’s yours for $180.

Fuhu, which makes the nabi tablet computer for kids, has created $170 Star Wars-themed accessory bundles that include a new 7-inch table. They come with sound effects, themed wallpapers and stickers designed to let kids customize their tablets.

Retailers also did their best to cash in on the “Force Friday” frenzy. Target, Wal-Mart and Toys R Us all had many of their stores open and held special events when the toys went on sale at 12:01 a.m. Friday. Star Wars toys were also prominently displayed on their retail websites.

While most of the people buying Friday will be the die-hard collectors who have to have the hot items first, sales momentum will continue into the holiday shopping season as nostalgic parents introduce a new generation of kids to Star Wars, says Rob Maigret, Sphero’s chief creative officer.

“There’s just this evangelism that exists for the movie, because this movie is part of our lives, because we all have some sort of connection to it,” Maigret says.

———

Nakashima reported from Los Angeles.

———

Follow Bree Fowler at http://www.Twitter.com/APBreeFowler

NEW YORK (AP) — A Transportation Security Administration screener has been charged with stealing a passenger’s $7,000 diamond watch from a plastic bin at a Kennedy Airport security checkpoint.

Authorities say video shows Margo Grant-Louree picking up the watch and walking away with it Aug. 26. Authorities say she told investigators she got nervous and destroyed the watch after she saw co-workers searching for it.

The Brooklyn resident was arraigned Thursday night in Queens on charges of grand larceny and official misconduct. Prosecutors say there is no information available on an attorney who can comment on her behalf.

She no longer works for TSA.

The case was announced Friday by Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s chief security officer, Thomas Belfiore (behl-fee-OHR’-ee).

NEW YORK (AP) — A Transportation Security Administration screener has been charged with stealing a passenger’s $7,000 diamond watch from a plastic bin at a Kennedy Airport security checkpoint.

Authorities say video shows Margo Grant-Louree picking up the watch and walking away with it Aug. 26. Authorities say she told investigators she got nervous and destroyed the watch after she saw co-workers searching for it.

The Brooklyn resident was arraigned Thursday night in Queens on charges of grand larceny and official misconduct. Prosecutors say there is no information available on an attorney who can comment on her behalf.

She no longer works for TSA.

The case was announced Friday by Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s chief security officer, Thomas Belfiore (behl-fee-OHR’-ee).

MOSCOW (AP) — A Russian Soyuz spacecraft carrying three new crew docked at the International Space Station on Friday after a safe but unusually long two-day flight.

The arrival of Russia’s Sergei Volkov, Denmark’s Andreas Mogensen and Kazakhstan’s Aidyn Aimbetov brings the number of astronauts on the orbiting space outpost to nine for the first time since November 2013.

Mogensen, the first Dane in space, got a message from his mother shortly after he arrived.

“I am really looking to have you back on Earth again,” Lisa Bjerregaard said during a video link from Baikonur, the cosmodrome in Kazakhstan where the spacecraft was launched Wednesday with relatives in attendance. “Don’t forget to call me when you land.”

Mogensen answered: “Yeah, yeah, I promise.” The exchange was shown live on television in Denmark.

Mogensen and Aimbetov will return to Earth on Sept. 12 along with Russian Gennady Padalka, the current station commander. Command will then be passed to NASA’s Scott Kelly, who along with Mikhail Kornienko of Russia is spending a full year on the station to study the effects of long space travel in preparation for a possible future trip to Mars.

Russian Mission Control said the Soyuz docked on time at 10:42 a.m. Moscow time (0742 GMT) Friday, about 51 hours after blasting off from Baikonur, the launch complex operated by Russia.

For the past two years, the space station crews have taken a more direct, six-hour flight to the station. This time, however, the Russian Federal Space Agency decided to revert to the traditional route, citing security concerns after the International Space Station had to adjust its orbit to dodge space junk.

——

Jan M. Olsen in Copenhagen, Denmark, contributed to this report.

BANGKOK (AP) — A foreign suspect arrested at the border near Cambodia is unlikely to be the yellow-shirted man seen in security videos and suspected of planting a deadly bomb at a Bangkok shrine, but is definitely a conspirator, police said Friday.

The apparent ruling out of the suspect — identified as Mieraili Yusufu or Yusufu Meerailee — as the main perpetrator suggests that the person who bombed the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok on Aug. 17 could still be at large despite two arrests and the naming of seven other suspects in recent days.

The evening blast at the shrine popular among Thais and tourists alike left 20 people dead and more than 120 injured in one of the most devastating acts of violence in Bangkok in decades.

Thai authorities have suggested that at least two of the suspects are possibly Turkish, boosting a theory that the bombing was to avenge Thailand’s forced repatriation of more than 100 ethnic Uighurs to China in July. Uighurs (pronounced WEE-gurs) are related to Turks, and Turkey is home to a large Uighur community.

National police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri said DNA samples taken from the suspect did not match the DNA found on evidence that the bomber is believed to have left behind — in a taxi, on banknotes, and on a motorcycle taxi he took on the night of the attack. The bomber is believed to have left the pipe bomb in a knapsack at the open-air the shrine when it was packed with worshippers during evening rush hour.

“Now we don’t have any evidence to say that he is the yellow-shirted man,” Prawut told reporters.

“However, he is definitely involved with the bombing,” Prawut said about the suspect, who was arrested Tuesday at the border with Cambodia.

The suspect’s DNA or fingerprints were found in two apartments that were raided by police last weekend on the outskirts of Bangkok, Prawut said. Police say both apartments contained bomb-making materials, and one had more than 200 fake Turkish passports.

“He was staying at both places,” Prawut said. “This means that the man is involved in bomb-stocking places.”

Another suspect, who was arrested at one of the apartments on Saturday and placed in military custody, was taken Friday to Bangkok police headquarters. Armed soldiers wearing body armor escorted the man, who possessed a fake Turkish passport when he was arrested. Police have also identified seven other suspects for whom arrests warrants have been issued.

Earlier Friday, Thai authorities unveiled the repaired statue at the center of Erawan Shrine which was damaged in the blast.

The swiftness with which the shrine has been repaired and reopened to the public was the latest attempt to boost confidence among Bangkok’s tourism and business communities.

Authorities have also intentionally avoided calling the bombing an act of terrorism for fear of hurting Thailand’s reputation.

“The most important issue for the country’s image is to restore confidence about safety,” Minister of Culture Vira Rojpojchanarat told reporters at the shrine. He said the repairs were intended to “create confidence and raise the morale of (Thai) people and tourists.”

The ministry’s Fine Arts Department repaired 12 areas of the gleaming golden statue of the Hindu god Brahma that were damaged by the attack, notably on its four-headed face where a chin was blasted out, Vira said.

The Erawan Shrine is especially popular with Chinese tourists, feeding the speculation that it could have been targeted by people who believe the Uighurs are oppressed by China’s government.

China has alleged that the Uighurs repatriated by Thailand included some who intended to join Islamic State fighters in Syria. Thailand is believed to be a transit stop for Chinese Uighurs attempting to go to Turkey.

In another finding that could support a link to Uighurs, police said that Yusufu, the suspect cleared of being the bomber, was carrying a Chinese passport. The passport indicated he was from the western Chinese region of Xinjiang, but Thai authorities had not yet verified its authenticity, Prawut said. Xinjiang is the home of the Turkish-speaking Uighurs.

The other suspects include a Thai woman identified as Wanna Suansan and said to be married to a Turkish man. Both are being sought by Thai police.

On Thursday, the Turkish Embassy in Bangkok issued a statement saying it has not received confirmation from Thai authorities about the suspects’ nationalities. Thai authorities responded to the complaint by saying they will submit the seized passports, both Turkish and Chinese, to the relevant embassies once forensics tests have been completed.

Thai authorities have been careful not to state publicly that the case may be linked to the Uighurs. They have said that such speculation could affect international relations and hurt tourism.

Thai security officials have suggested the suspects are part of a human trafficking ring with a grudge against Thailand. However, Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, known for his outspokenness, has acknowledged it could have been a gang involved in smuggling Uighurs out of China.

———

Associated Press writer Jocelyn Gecker contributed to this report.