1. What was the consumer confidence during last year’s holiday shopping season compared to this season?
a. Last year, it was higher than this year.
b. Last year, it was lower than this year.
c. Last year, it was the same as this year.
d. Last year, the numbers were unclear.
2. What is the purpose of the no hugging suggestion made by the Girl Scouts?
a. to reduce transmission of the common cold
b. to help schools maintain a formal atmosphere
c. to give girls control over how they interact with people
d. to prompt young people to behave more professionally
3. What two aspects of smoking do tobacco companies now have to admit to?
a. They are addictive and deadly.
b. They are expensive and burn quickly.
c. They have lost their popularity and are not cool.
d. They smell bad and irritate the people around you.
4. Who does North Korea consider its worst enemy?
a. South Korea
d. the United States
5. Which of the following sentences best describes the field of mechanical engineering?
a. It is a very specialized career best suited for people interested in space and space travel.
b. It is a very broad field with opportunities for people with a wide range of interests.
c. It is recommended for all students, regardless of whether they are good in math or science.
d. It is a physically demanding job with many safety concerns.