1. What was the effect of West Virginia teachers staying “strong” in their strike?
a. The strike has grown larger.
b. Teachers got a 4-percent raise.
c. All public service employees got a raise.
d. Lawmakers are not backing down.
2. What has triggered an increase in women running for office?
a. statewide offices
b. the Texas primary ballot
c. Republican women’s clubs
d. the 2016 presidential election
3. According to critics, what is one argument against California placing warning labels on coffee?
a. Scientists say that when coffee is heated up, the hazardous chemical acrylamide evaporates.
b. California has enough warning labels on foods already.
c. There isn’t enough data to support the claim that coffee is hazardous to your health.
d. Warning labels are too difficult for most consumers to fully understand.
4. What kind of animal is now banned by the airlines from flying with passengers?
a. animals that have been examined by a veterinarian
b. animals that belong to airline employees
c. animals that are part of a mental health comfort program
d. animals that are trained as service dogs for people with disabilities
5. Why did authorities fear a mudslide in California?
a. because of rain
b. because of wind
c. because of snow
d. because of power outages